burglars look for crimes of opportunity. They pick
what appears to be an easy mark. There are many steps that you can
take to keep your home and your neighborhood safe. The most important
step is for you and your neighbors to work together.
What can you do?
- Never allow people you do not know into your home, such
as a door-to-door sales person, a person asking to use the phone or
looking for a supposed neighbor.
- Always keep your doors and windows locked day and
- Never leave your garage door open.
- Don't have your valuables visible through windows.
- Keep ladders locked in the garage. Burglars can
use them for access to otherwise inaccessible second story windows.
- Don't forget when going on vacation to hold or to
have someone pick up your mail/newspapers.
- Don't hide a key outside for visiting friends and
- Don't advertise new gifts or purchases. Break up
the cartons before leaving them at the curb.
- Call the police immediately when you see suspicious
persons or activities
- Get to know the police officers in your area.
- If you live in an apartment complex let management
know of any problems in the community.
- Start or join a Neighborhood
Learn how to make your home less attractive to criminals.
Make a list of the serial numbers of your property and take photographs.
You can also engrave your Driver's license number with an etching tool.
Safety ] [ Youth
Safety ] [ Home
Safety ] [ Business
Safety ] [ Internet
Safety ] [ Fraud
Prevention Through Environment Design ] [ Gang
Click here to get information
on Safety and Prevention Tips
Click here, download or view online
our Crime Prevention Safety Guide